Silverlight project merging proposal

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Hello Michael!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your contribution in solving INotificationChanged headache. You're doing very good thing!

Then I have a proposal for you to merge updatecontrols.light project back here for the sake of both lower efforts on further evolution of the project for all supported technologies and better support for different usage scenarios.

I guess I'd better explain the later statement. We have a project that includes both Silverlight and WPF clients and more over they share their object model with server side. The productivity-critical requirement for the project is to make as much use of sharing code as possible. E.g. we use Prism to almost completely unify codebase between client solutions and we also share code of object model between all the three parts of the system. The issue with ability to start using UpdateControls here is that Silverlight version has different project structure that does not opt for separation of SIlverlight-UI-related code from UI-independent parts. I've checked both solutions and I think it will be a matter of two or three #if SILVERLIGHT statements to provide the common codebase for UI independent parts. The other important thing here is that making changes to either UpdateControls or UpdateControls.Light specific parts you will have to support changes for all three branches (WinForms, WPF, SL) ;)

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Excellent idea. I have, in fact, fixed bugs in both projects. It is starting to get painful. I'll look into some of the common code techniques that the Prism team is using.

Fortunately, the WPF and Winforms libraries share a common code base. It's only Silverlight that is out on its own. I will remedy that shortly.